Srinagar, March 01, 2015 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, the veteran Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani has demanded proceeding cases under War Crimes Tribunal of the United Nations against the Indian troops involved in the massacres of Zakura and Batmaloo and other killings during the past twenty five years in the territory.
Over 50 people were gunned down by the Indian troops in two separate massacres at Zakura and Batmaloo areas of Srinagar on this day in 1990. The Indian troops fired upon a passenger bus at Tengpora around 5:00pm killing around 30 persons including five women on the spot while several sustained injuries in the firing.
Two hours earlier, an army convoy returning from Sonamarg, fired on a pro-freedom procession at Zakura crossing, killing 11 people on the spot and scores sustained injured of which 18 succumbed to their injuries in Soura Institute of Medical Sciences taking the toll to 29. The next day, the Amnesty International called for an impartial probe into the massacres and urged the Indian forces to exercise restraint.
Syed Ali Gilani in a statement issued from New Delhi deplored that no investigation was made in the gruesome killings. He said that Jammu and Kashmir had become the most militarized zone in the world and the troops had been involved in the killing of innocent people since 1990.
Meanwhile, Democratic Political Movement leader, Advocate Muhammad Shafi Reshi paying tributes to the martyrs said that Indian army and police enjoying impunity under draconian laws were massacring innocent people in Kashmir. He demanded justice into the massacres.
Jammu and Kashmir Salvation Movement in a statement said killings by India was aimed at preventing Kashmiris from continuing their struggle for right to self-determination.
For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549