Home / Misc. / Protest strike continues in Shopian for the fifth consecutive day

Protest strike continues in Shopian for the fifth consecutive day

Srinagar, August 21, 2013 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, complete shutdown continued for the fifth consecutive day, today, in Shopian against the arrest of innocent youth by Indian police.

Violent clashes between protesters and Indian police were witnessed at Bonbazar, Gole Chowk, DC office, Aliyalpora and other parts of the town. The demonstrators were demanding immediate release of the 22 youth, who were arrested by Indian police on Friday.

The veteran Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani in a statement denounced the arrests and demanded the release of the detained youth without any further delay. Meanwhile, unabated curfew imposed by the Indian authorities in Kishtwar town for the past two weeks has made the life of the people miserable due to shortage of essential supplies.

On the other hand, several people were injured when Indian police resorted to brute force on anti-India protest demonstrations in Kulgam.

Senior APHC leader and Chairman of Democratic Freedom Party, Shabbir Ahmad Shah in a statement issued in Srinagar deplored that the Hindu extremists involved in the killing of innocent Muslims in Kishtwar and other areas of Jammu were roaming free.

APHC leaders, Mukhtar Ahmad Waza in a media interview and Yasmeen Raja in a statement in Srinagar said that the use of brute force by India and its puppet authorities could not prevent the Kashmiris from continuing just struggle for their right to self-determination.

The High Court of occupied Kashmir has been moved for the disbanding of the Indian army-sponsored Village Defence Committees in the territory. In this regard, two petitions have been separately filed by Jammu and Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society and an Independent member of so-called Kashmir Assembly, Engineer Abdur Rasheed.

The Awami Action Committee led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq in a statement in connection with the 24th anniversary of the desecration of Srinagar’s Jamia Masjid by Indian troops said that the attack was an attempt to undermine the central importance of Kashmir’s largest religious centre and to pressurise Mirwaiz Moulvi Muhammad Farooq to prevent him from continuing the liberation struggle.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Email: info@kmsnews.org
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736

Leave a Reply

Scroll To Top