Home / General / Police shot my video by deception: Handwara girl

Police shot my video by deception: Handwara girl

Srinagar, April 24, 2016 (PPI-OT):In occupied Kashmir, breaking her silence, the molestation victim girl of Handwara has said that she has been made vulnerable by police by deceiving and recording her video that went viral on Internet. Nayeema Ahmad Mehjoor, Chairperson of local Women’s Commission in a media interview in Srinagar said, “She was very disturbed when I met her yesterday,” Mehjoor met her on Friday after police brought the girl from Zachaldara Handwara to Srinagar.

The 16-year old student continues to remain in police custody. The girl, according to Mehjoor, said that she was kept in dark while the video was shot in Handwara Police Station. Mehjoor said that the girl told her that police officials shot the video after giving assurance that it won’t be leaked. “The girl said she has been vulnerable. She said her face is now known to all,” Mehjoor said, adding that what had happened in police station had visibly disturbed the girl. “The girl is not totally happy with that.”

Saying that she is in touch with the victim’s family, Mahjoor said that the matter had been taken up with police. “I have asked police to explain all this. They have assured me all cooperation,” she said, adding that the girl did not reveal anything about the incident. “She was disturbed. She will be coming to my office after three-four days and will talk about the incident.”

Mehjoor said that the girl’s father has requested for police assistance. “The fact is that her father told me that he had asked for police assistance, but not security,” Mehjoor said, adding that family ha been provided with police assistance. Mehjoor said that the girl wanted to continue her studies that too in same Handwara School. “We assured her that she will be admitted in any school, anywhere so that she continues her studies,” she added.

The girl’s molestation by an army soldier on April 12 evoked strong protests in Handwara. During the protests army opened fire and killed two youth and a 53 year old woman. Later in subsequent protests against the killings two more youth were killed. One among them was killed in army firing and another in police action. “The girl is in police custody,” Deputy Inspector General of Police, Uttam Chand, told media.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Email: info@kmsnews.org
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top