– French Cloud Provider Implements SDN Solution to Efficiently Deliver Highly Secure Enterprise Class Infrastructure with High Performance and Availability
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California, March 31, 2014 / PRNewswire — Nuage Networks, the Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) venture focused on software-defined networking (SDN) solutions, today announced that cloud provider Numergy has selected its SDN platform for deployment within and across its datacenters as they scale to support a total of one million virtual machines.
Numergy is a cloud provider specializing in the construction and operation of cloud computing infrastructure in key European markets. According to Gartner’s Forecast: Public Cloud Services, Worldwide, 2011-2017, 4Q13 Update (December 2013), Cloud System Infrastructure Services (IAAS) end user spending in Western Europe is growing at 32.1% CAGR (2012-2017), and the market size will reach $5.9B by 2017. This year alone, Numergy plans to open two datacenters, with the goal of 10 additional datacenters in operation over the next three years, all with the Nuage Networks solution embedded.
Numergy opted to implement Nuage Networks’ Virtualized Services Platform (VSP) and 7850 Virtualized Services Gateway (VSG) as well as the Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router to manage and automate its datacenter networks to be more programmable and operationally efficient. One of Numergy’s primary goals was to build their cloud infrastructure on open technologies, and Nuage Networks’ philosophy of building open cloud environments that avoid lock-in aligned well with their wants and needs.
“We are pleased to implement the Nuage Networks product suite in our cloud infrastructure,” said Numergy CEO, Philippe Tavernier. “The Nuage Networks SDN technology allows us to address key performance and compliance requirements for virtualizing our infrastructure and enabling the range of cloud services that are essential for meeting our enterprise customers’ needs.”
Numergy requires a network whose capabilities can be abstracted in alignment with of the needs of diverse customer applications. The Nuage Networks SDN solution provides datacenter network virtualization and automation that transforms datacenters into reflexive environments that instantaneously establish the network services required to deliver cloud infrastructure across millions of virtual machines.
The Nuage Networks VSP is an SDN solution that fully automates datacenter networks, creating secure “slices” for each user group or tenant while reducing provisioning time from days to seconds. This includes:
- Nuage Networks Virtualized Services Controller (VSC): Serves as the robust control plane of the datacenter network, maintaining a full per-tenant view of network and service topologies. Through network APIs using interfaces such as Openflow, the VSC programs the datacenter network agnostic of datacenter networking hardware.
- Nuage Networks Virtualized Services Directory (VSD): Serves as a policy, business logic & analytics engine for the abstract definition of network services. Through RESTful APIs to the VSD, administrators can define and refine service designs and incorporate enterprise policies.
- Nuage Networks Virtual Routing and Switching (VRS): Serves as a virtual endpoint for network services. Through the VRS, changes in the compute environment are immediately detected, triggering instantaneous policy-based establishment of network connectivity within and across datacenters to ensure that the needs of applications are met.
Also included as part of the implementation is the Nuage Networks 7850 VSG. Working in concert with Nuage Networks VSP, the 7850 VSG extends the benefits of SDN automation to Numergy’s non-virtualized datacenter assets as well.
Teaming with Nuage Networks enables Numergy to implement and scale automated cloud networks across their geo-distributed infrastructure. Additional benefits include:
- Service provisioning speed and agility: Setting up networks in an SDN can be as easy and timely as creating virtual machine (VM) instances. Unlike traditional networks that are highly configuration driven and manual, Nuage Networks allows network connectivity to follow seamlessly and instantaneously according to pre-defined policies.
- Control: The solution provides a common policy framework through which Numergy maintains full control and visibility of their infrastructure, minimizing manual intervention while ensuring that performance and compliance guidelines are met.
- Network flexibility and holistic management: SDNs enable “network experimentation without impact. ” Nuage Networks allows Numergy to bypass traditional datacenter network restrictions and experiment freely with new network configurations that better support customer scenarios.
- Lowered expenditures: Through a dramatically more operationally efficient approach, by making optimal use of datacenter assets, and by reducing dependencies on proprietary hardware and dedicated appliances, Numergy expects to realize significant economic benefits.
“We are excited to work with Numergy in support of their cloud initiative, a massive multi-tenant infrastructure that can scale elastically and respond instantaneously through a programmable and automated network infrastructure,” said Sunil Khandekar, Nuage Networks CEO. “Our technology is primed for such a task and will enable their cloud infrastructure to be more agile, secure, and responsive, giving Numergy the ability to deliver innovative and compelling cloud services to enterprises in France and throughout their European footprint.”
ABOUT NUAGE NETWORKS
Nu-âhj: From French, meaning ‘cloud’. Nuage Networks brings a unique combination of groundbreaking technologies and unmatched networking expertise to the enterprise and telecommunications industries. The Silicon Valley-based start up has applied radically new thinking to the problem of delivering massively scalable and high programmable SDN solutions with the security and availability required by business-critical environments. Nuage Networks, backed by Alcatel-Lucent’s (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) rapidly growing IP division, has the pedigree to serve the needs of the world’s biggest clouds. The cloud has made promises – the mission of Nuage Networks is to help you realize them.
For more information, visit Nuage Networks on: www.nuagenetworks.net, read the latest posts on the Nuage Networks blog http://www.nuagenetworks.net/blog/ and follow the company on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nuagenetworks.