Home / Government Institutions / National Highways and Motorways Police organises seminar on Road Safety Day

National Highways and Motorways Police organises seminar on Road Safety Day

Lahore, August 31, 2013 (PPI-OT): National Highways and Motorways Police (NH and MP) organized a seminar at a local hotel on Saturday in which people belonging to every walk of life participated. Inspector General NH and MP, Zulfiqar Ahmad Cheema, was the chief guest of the seminar while renowned Legal Expert, S.M. Zafar, Vice Chancellor, Government College University, Dr. Khaliq-ur-Rehman, and Senior Journalist, Mujeeb-ur-Rehman Shami were the guests of honor. D.G. Rescue 1122, Dr. Rizwan Naseer, DIG Operations (Lahore), Rai Tahir, DIG (N-5 Central), Mirza Shakil Ahmad, SSP Motorways, Athar Waheed and Social Manager of Shell, Ms. Afshan Khan Nanji and Dr. Zahra Batool were among the speakers. Speaking on the occasion, IG Motorways, Zulfiqar Ahmad Cheema, said that we are unaware of road sense as a nation while the absence of 3-Es—-Educatioan, Law Enforcement and Engineering—-especially law enforcement and road user’s behavior being the major stakeholder, were causing accidents on roads. He went on to say that more than 80 percent accidents occur due to the fault of drivers and remaining 20 percent due to the mechanical faults.

He added over speeding, careless attitude, underage driving, use of drugs while driving, fatigue, and lane violation are the major factors which result into fatal accidents. However, the IG Zulfiqar Ahmad Cheema said that National Highways and Motorway Police have always maintained the standard of road safety in Pakistan which is also always acknowledged worldwide. He said that he is committed to create the supremacy and enforcement of law on motorways.

The road user/driver would automatically adopt traffic rules and regulations once he would enter on national highways and motorways across the country. He further added road traffic crashes, should not be accepted as inevitable because they are, in fact, both predictable and preventable. Zulfiqar Cheema said the probability of accidents can be reduced in a number of different ways.

All public agencies as well as private sectors need to play their role in strengthening road safety. Road safety should be the part of school syllabus to improve safety which is currently far below than the magnitude of problem.

He also said The NH and MP will be converted into a model organization of region as its standards of law-enforcement will be raised to the level of European Traffic Police. He said that if anyone is fined for more than one time, his license would be sent for cancellation under license punching system. While speaking on the occasion Majib ur Rehman Shami said that it is imperative for all of us to earnestly address road safety problem and to bring it in order and discipline to protect our lives and property.

He lauded the efforts of IG Zulfiqar Ahmed Cheema regarding road safety and improving the traffic discipline on national highways. He further said IG Motorway Police is the name of betterment and positive change in every department where he served.

The S.M Zafar also spoke on the occasion and said that Motorway Police has changed the police culture with and ensured a safe and trouble free journey for the people. He further NH and MP is known with his soft and firm behavior. Vice Chancellor Government College University, Dr. Khaliq-ur-Rahman while speaking on the occasion said they will introduce transport psychology courses in Pakistan.

Dr Rizwan Naseer DG 1122 spoke on the occasion and said road safety is major issue and positive behavior is the only key for change in the society. DIG Rai Tathir said modern technology is the need of time to create better and road safety environment in Pakistan. SSP Ather Waheed , Director Auto Motor Design Umer Qureshi and Dr. Zara Batool also spoke on the occasion .

Speakers at the seminar held on “International Road Safety Day” were of the unanimous view that effective planning and implementation of traffic rules could help curtailing fatal road traffic accidents, which are claiming the precious human lives to the volume of 1.3 million across the world and 12000 in Pakistan annually.

For more information, contact:
M. Javed Chaudhary
PRO
National Highway and Motorway Police
Ministry for Communications
Cell: 0321-5005172

Leave a Reply

Scroll To Top