Islamabad, December 02, 2015 (PPI-OT): The Standing Committee on Parliamentary Affairs met in the Parliament House today i.e 2nd December, 2015 at 11:00 p.m in Committee Room No. 07 under the Chairmanship of Mian Abdul Mannan, MNA regarding the performance of Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs with regard to its coordination with the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) and briefing by ECP on their experiment of voting at Pak Missions in Riyadh, New York and Dubai.
2. The Committee Members were briefed by the Secretary, Mb Parliamentary Affairs about the coordination with legislative business relating to the Election Commission of Pakistan. He informed that ECP is a constitutional body and commission enjoys full financial and administrative autonomy and budgetary allocation are made to the commission as charged expenditure under Article 81 of the Constitution like other constitutional bodies. The Secretary, EU’ is ex-officio Principal Accounting Officer of the Commission hence it functions independently.
3. The Additional Secretary, ECP informed the Committee about the ongoing local bodies elections. He said that ECP have received complaints with regard to violation of code of conduct of the elections by the candidates/political parties. However, few Committee Members were of the view that ECP could not play its proper role during first and second phase of the local bodies elections in Sindh and Punjab. It was also informed by the Addi. Secretary, ECP that 120000 Staff members had completed their hands on training, before the commencement of said election.
4. Some Members of the Committee gave their personal observations regarding irregularities made by the ROs on the issuance of election results and changing of polling stations at the eleventh hour. The Committee recommended to ECP to provide complete report/status with regard to the all complaints received to ECP during first and second phase of the local bodies elections in Sindh and Punjab in the next meeting of the Committee. The Committee also recommended that election complaints should be resolved within 120 days, according to the ECP’s Law/Policy.
5. The Committee supported that the right of casting of votes should be given to Overseas Pakistanis, however, ECP should focus on their deficiencies on the national level, in the first instance.
6. The Committee directed to the Secretary, Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs that draft rules of Members of Parliament (Salaries and Allowances, Act 1974) may be expedite with Ministry of Finance and Revenue, which has already been forwarded to Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs on the recommendations of the Standing Committee, because same is required for onward submission before Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
7. Meeting was attended by Mian Tariq Mehmood, Mr. Azhar Qayyum Nahra, Mr. Rasheed Ahmed Khan, Ch. Salman Haneef Khan, Ms. Arifa Khalid Parvez Ms. Belum Hasnain, Ms. Shahida Rehmani, Dr. Nafisa Shah, Mr. Salim Rehman, Syed Essa Non and Ms. Shahjehan Munir Mangrio, MNAs and besides senior officers from Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs and ECP.
For more information, contact:
Karamat Hussain Niazi
National Assembly of Pakistan
National Assembly Secretariat,
Islamabad – Pakistan