Home / Misc. / Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations providing support to Internally Displaced Persons of North Waziristan

Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations providing support to Internally Displaced Persons of North Waziristan

Islamabad, July 18, 2014 (PPI-OT): The military operations in North Waziristan have resulted in large scale displacement of local population reaching up to approximately one million individuals. Around 80 % of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) have settled in district Bannu while remaining 20% are scattered across districts of D.I. Khan, Lakki Marwat, Kohat and other parts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP).

As per the needs assessments by provincial Livestock Department and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), around 70% of the IDPs have brought livestock with them. In most of the cases, IDPs with livestock walked for days on foot as they could not afford transport cost for their animals.

These animals, at present, are very weak and need immediate assistance in terms of feed, shelter and health care to prevent spread of diseases and control mortality rate. On request of Ministry of Food Security and Research, FAO has initiated efforts to mobilize resources to address priority needs of the livestock. In this regard, FAO has already provided 100,000 PPR vaccines to the Livestock Department from its existing resources.

FAO Representative in Pakistan, Mr. Patrick T. Evans, visited district Bannu on 15 and 16 July 2014 to look into the livestock issues and their priority needs. He was accompanied by the Resilience Coordinator, Mr. Francisco Gammaro, Assistant Country Representative (Programme), Mr. Nasar Hayat, and FAO Peshawar office staff.

FAO team visited one of the eight mobile veterinary clinics set up by the district Livestock Department in Kotti Sadat village located at a distance of 15 km from main Bannu city. They met with about 50 IDPs who had brought their livestock for vaccination.

The IDPs identified shelter, feed and water as their main priority areas for livestock assistance. IDPs further shared that they have lost about half of their animals during displacement as either they had to leave their animal behind while some died during travel. FAO team also visited the sports complex in Bannu where they observed the IDPs registration and food distribution process. They also met with IDPs and discussed the registration process.

FAO team also held meetings with the district Livestock Department and Commissioner Bannu Mr. Syed Mohsin Shah. The district Livestock Department shared that they have sufficient stock of vaccines however; they need support in animals feed and shelters and FMD vaccines.

The Department further added that they need additional human resource to be able to reach out to large number of displaced population spread across the district. The Commissioner Bannu highlighted the need for livestock assistance and welcomed FAO support in this regard.

The FAO team met with the Additional Chief Secretary FATA on 16 July 2014 in Peshawar. The Secretary Planning and Director General Projects were also present in the meeting. The ACS highlighted the need for livestock assistance for North Waziristan caseload and shared that the operation may take some time and therefore FAO response plan focusing on both survival and production sides of the livestock is very important.

The FAO team paid courtesy visit to the Governor FATA Mr. Sardar Mehtab Abbasi. FAO Representative briefed the Governor on FAO planned assistance to the livestock brought by the IDPs of NWA. The Secretaries of Livelihoods/Production, and Home Affairs were also present on the occasion and appreciated FAO’s close working with the FATA Secretariat.

For more information, contact:
Mahira Afzal
Communication Officer
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
NARC Premises
Park Road, Chak Shahzad,
P. O. Box 1476, Islamabad, Pakistan
Tel: +92-51-9255491-3, Ext: 201
Fax: +92-51-9255454
Cell: +92-346-8544197
Email: FAO-PK@fao.org
Website: www.fao.org.pk

Leave a Reply

Scroll To Top