Islamabad: The Executive Committee of the Supreme Court Bar Association of Pakistan headed by its President Mr. Yasin Azad and comprising other Cabinet members called on the Honourable Chief Justice of Pakistan Mr. Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry here in Supreme Court Building, Islamabad today i.e. 11.01.2012.
While welcoming the delegation, his lordship said “it is a matter of great pleasure and privilege for me to receive this newly elected cabinet to discuss different difficulties and hardships faced by the litigants and the lawyers”.
He informed the meeting that he has established the practice of regularly interacting with the Bar Association in order to communicate freely for resolving any outstanding issues in the larger interest of the institution.
The Honourable Chief Justice recounted the epic struggle launched by the lawyers community of the country in the wake of the tumultuous events of March 09, 2007. He appreciated the fact that this struggle heralded the dawn of democracy, rule of law and constitutionalism in the country. He emphasized the need to have a truly democratic and rights-based polity which is a sine qua non for ensuring social stability and harmony in the country.
The meeting discussed different matters which are as under:-
1. The meeting resolved that a Committee comprising of the members of the Cabinet and the officers of the Supreme Court is mandated to resolve the issues like construction of parking sheds and other administrative matters.
2. Many issues related to fixation of cases and other ancillary matters were discussed in detail and decisions taken facilitating the lawyers specially hailing from Quetta and Karachi regions.
3. The meeting discussed the issue of working of local Commissions formed at the District Courts for the purpose of recording of evidence. Various proposals were discussed to improve the working of such Commissions. It was agreed that this issue will be discussed in the next meeting of the National Judicial Policy Making Committee (NJPMC).
4. The Bar members invited the Honourable Chief Justice of Pakistan as Chief Guest at the National Seerut Conference on the occasion of forthcoming Eid-Milad-un-Nabi day. The HCJP readily agreed to the proposal and rather extended the offer to use the Auditorium of the Supreme Court on this auspicious occasion.
5. The meeting also offered fatiha on the sad demise of senior and renowned lawyers Mr. Nasrullah Wariach, Talib Rizvi, Asif Bhatti and Mohsin Javed who breathed their last recently.
For more information, contact:
Shahid Hussain Kamboyo
Public Relations Officer
Supreme Court of Pakistan
Tel: +9251 920 4184
Fax: +9251 920 1001