Karachi, October 13, 2014 (PPI-OT): In order to discuss and resolve the issues / problems faced by the Exporters of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables / Members of All Pakistan Fruits and Vegetables Exporters, Importers, and Merchants Association (PFVA) Karachi, the Chief Executive of the TDAP held a meeting with Delegation of PFVA on October 13th ,2014 at the Conference Room , 5th Floor of the TDAP, Karachi. Mr. Ather Jamal Abro, Director General, AFD , Mr. Atif Aziz, Director (EDF) Mr. Hamid Shahinshah, A.D.(AFD) were also present in the occasion.
The following members of the PFVA attend the said meeting:-
1. Mr. Waheed Ahmed
Chairman, PFVA, Karachi.
2. Mr. Muhammad Ilyas Khan,
Secretary General, PFVA, Karachi.
3. Mr. Aslam Phakali,
4. Mr. Shehzad Khaliq
2. After welcome, by the Chief Executive opened the session with the request that the participants may introduce themselves and highlight their issues and ask about the increase of the Export of Fruits and Vegetables.
3. Chief Executive has appreciated the efforts of PFVA taken out for the increase of the export of fruits and vegetables from Pakistan. He assured the delegation of PFVA for full support and facilitation through TDAP and asked PFVA to submit their suggestions for the promotion of the export of fruits and vegetables as well as for the betterment in the field of cultivation and related areas.
4. Mr Atif Aziz, Director, TDAP has informed that regarding installation of VHT, TDAP has received 6 proposal from various firms, however in the meeting of EDF held on 3rd October 2014, it was decided that VHT will be installed on Public Private Partnership bases and in this regard quotations will be called through open competitive biddings.
VHT can play an important role in the enhancement of the export of fruits and vegetables from Pakistan. In the current year we have received only 2 complaints about fruit flies in mango/vegetables consignments and due to better tackling the issue was resolved efficiently.
5. Waheed Ahmed Chairman of Association (PFVA) welcomed and thanked the C.E., and officers of TDAP for sparing time to listen to the problems of the PFVA. He informed the meeting that in the current year they have exported of Fruits US$ 435,293 (value in ‘000”) and Vegetables US$.209,092 (values in ‘000”).
He specially quoted example of Japan where Pakistani mango was purchased @ 450 Yen per piece, further stated that due to non installation of VHT Pakistan has lost about US$ 10 million this year. PFVA has demanded increase of their EDF grant from Rs. 10 million to Rs.20 million so that they could take steps for the promotion of export of fruits and vegetables.
He also informed the meeting that PFVA intends to install VHT which is lying with TDAP. He stressed the need of R and D and informed that PFVA is interested in establishing of a Laboratory for which Rs.300 million are required. Establishment of that laboratory will increase US$ 7 billion in our export.
6. Chief Executive directed the PFVA to submit complete proposal regarding laboratory so that it could be discussed in EDF meeting. The meeting ended with a vote of thanks to and from the chair.
For more information, contact:
Mr. Farooque Memon
Information and Communication Division
Trade Development Authority of Pakistan
3rd Floor, Block A, Finance and Trade Centre,
P. O. Box No. 1293, Shahrah-e-Faisal,
Karachi 75200, Pakistan
Tel: +92-21-99206487-90, +92-21-99201526
Fax: +92-21-99206461, +92-21-99201526
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com