Washington, November 06, 2012 (PPI-OT): In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the Embassy of Pakistan and its Consulate General in New York have continued their efforts to provide relief to Pakistani Americans affected by the storm.
On the instructions of Ambassador Sherry Rehman, Faqir Syed Asif Hussain, Consul General, New York has been regularly visiting the major boroughs of New York, including Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Coney Island to meet with the Sandy affectees. In addition, the following measures have been taken to facilitate the victims:-
– Consulate General New York’s 24-hour emergency hotline continues to remain operational. The helpline has responded to hundreds of queries and reconnected storm victims with their family members.
– According to the available information around 700-800 individuals have been affected from among the Pakistani American diaspora residing in New York and its adjoining areas.
– The Consulate General, in collaboration with the community leaders and representatives, is in the process of assembling the affected Pakistani Americans at one shelter located at Coney Island. So far, a total of 297 Pakistani Americans have been housed at the shelter where they are being provided with food and other essential requirements.
– Community leaders have also been mobilized to contribute resources for the rehabilitation of storm affectees.
– Fortunately, till November 5, 2012, no Pakistani American casualties have been reported.
– The Consulate General is also guiding the affected families to register their individual loss claims with FEMA, apply for tax credits with IRS, and approach American Red Cross if housing, food, clothing is required. Contact numbers of these agencies are displayed on the Consulate General’s website.
Important contact numbers are:-
Consulate General of Pakistan New York: 212-472-6807 and 212-472-4345
American Red Cross: 866-438-4636
For more information, contact:
Embassy of Pakistan, Washington D.C
3517 International Court NW
Washington, DC 20008.
Consular Section PH: 202-349-3177
Consular Section Email: email@example.com