Home / General / 30th day of curfew in IOK, situation highly tense

30th day of curfew in IOK, situation highly tense

Srinagar, August 07, 2016 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, curfew and other restrictions imposed by Indian authorities continued to haunt the hapless people across the Kashmir Valley for the 30th consecutive day, today.

The situation remained highly tense particularly in Islamabad, Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama and Kupwara districts for the third consecutive day, today, since the killing of four persons and injuries to over 800 in firing by Indian troops in central and north districts of Kashmir on Friday. The restrictions on the assembly of four or more people also remained in force in Srinagar, Badgam, Sopore, Bandipora and Baramulla to prevent protests against the killings. The troops had blocked Khurhama-Kupwara main road by erecting iron gates to punish the locals for their participation in anti-India protests.

However, people defying curfew and restrictions came out of their houses and held protests in several parts of the territory. One such protest was held in Sopore where the protesters shouting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans marched through streets in the area. Later, youth launched a sanitation drive and cleaned sewers as part of joint programme announced by Hurriyet leaders.

Meanwhile, the endless killing spree unleashed by Indian forces claimed one more innocent life in Pulwama district, today. The bullet-riddled body of the youth, Bilal Ahmad Malik was found lying on a road in the district. Reports said that the troops had shot and killed the 23-year-old youth after he went out of his house to visit his sister in Kangan village. He was laid to rest in his ancestral graveyard amid high-pitched anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. The latest killing has brought the death toll to 69 during the 30 days of Kashmir Intifada.

Earlier, Indian troops in their fresh act of state terrorism martyred another youth in Naugam area of Kupwara district. The youth, whom the Indian Army claimed was a mujahid, was killed during a siege and search operation by Indian Army in the area.

On the other hand, two protesters were electrocuted to death and four others were injured when one of their banners hit an electric wire in Tambas area of Kargil, today.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Email: info@kmsnews.org
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top